Friday, September 11, 2009

Spanish is a sexy language

As Rosetta is taking me by the hand to Spanish-land, I realize we're not in Oz anymore. You can't just have a regular noun. It has to have a sexy designation. La bicicleta is a feminine noun, like only girls ride them. Or el carro is a masculine noun - like cars are for just for men. How about el vestido? It means dress and is masculine. What's wrong with that picture? French and Italian have sexy nouns too. I guess that's why they're called the Romance Languages...

I just got caught up to date recording my pre-blog, ie. handwritten journal, entries that began August 15, right after I saw the Julie/Julia movie which inspired this whole enterprise. Surprisingly enough, I'm still excited about learning Spanish, and have made a lot of headway. If people would just start talking r e a l l y s l o w, and use preschool Spanish, I'd be right there with them.

The blog setup on September 1 was the handiwork of my talented and beautiful daughter, Chelsea. It's not a really difficult thing to do, but those savvy Twenty Somethings have no fear on the computer. I have still yet to figure out many aspects of this medium, like how to put the correct accent marks on my Spanish words - perhaps somebody smart in that area will volunteer the information.

About the blog, everyone I have told so far is either supportive, amazed or amused. All except my mother, whose reaction was, "Now, why would you want to do something like that for? Is this going to be public?!!" I know I'm on the right track when my mom objects to my crazy ideas; it's just her over-protective nature. But since that announcement, we've been flinging Spanish words back and forth to each other, because it's a little like visiting a foreign country and we both love to travel.

When we hung up el teléfono, my dad wished me, "Adios mi hija," pronounced eeha, and without seeing the written word, I figured out that it meant Goodbye my daughter. Some might say that it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out, but frankly, I was proud of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment