Friday, September 4, 2009

Crash course in the Chapel

Since 2001, I have been a frequent visitor to the Catholic hospital chapel which stays open 24/7 for Perpetual Adoration of the Eucharist. Believe me, it took years for me to grasp the concept, but I am a firm believer that Jesus is truly present there, and there's no better place to pray. Evidently, I'm not the only one who thinks this, because there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, that have frequented the chapel. For me, it's a sacred, quiet place to pray, reflect and read spiritual books. Sometimes, during my adoration hour, I'm the only one there, and that's kind of neat. Just me and Jesus. Young parents, just imagine an hour of complete and total silence. That alone is enough to entice a visit!

The chapel is also a wonderful place to visit when you want to shoot off a prayer to God for the healing of a loved one, for a peaceful parting, for a new job, a happier marriage, or whatever your need. It's also a place to record the blessings God brought to your life as a result of prayers of adoration.

In was in this such book of blessings that I got my next Spanish lesson, because there are many Spanish-speaking chapel-goers:
  • Jesus, yo confio en Ti .... Jesus, I trust in You
  • Gracias Dios por nuestro familia revaida de nuevo... Thank you God for my family coming back to you.

Okay, I'm pinch-hitting here. I think that's what it means. Haven't actually gotten a dictionary yet, but it sounds good. Also words I learned in context by going through a Spanish children's Bible story book:

antiguo = old; nuevo = new; todos = all; antes = before; naciera = birth; con = with; mundo = world; pueblo = village; estrellas = stars; noche = night; dia = day; arboles = trees; flores = flowers; despues = then; creo = created; felices = happy; pecado = sin; hijo = son; donde = where; el NiƱo Dios = Baby Jesus; rezar = pray.

Maybe praying in Spanish will help!

No comments:

Post a Comment