Monday, December 28, 2009

Feliz Navidad!

Christmas has come and gone with lightning speed this year. I know, how trite saying that time flew by , but there is something to the concept of time-compression as you age. As a child, the pre-Christmas anticipation, holiday traditions, parties, and Christmas vacation lasted forever. So did the toys. Things didn't break unless your brothers blew them up or dismantled them. I had a Thumbelina doll that was my prize possession until my brothers refashioned her with pieces from their erector set. Their curious (deviant) minds matched Sid's from Toy Story.

Why do we put all this pressure on ourselves during the holidays? We logged in seven parties/get-togethers in December, two being at our house. The first party we hosted was a blast! My brother Tom suggested that we throw in a few of our closest friends to our traditional Christmas mix this year. So glad we did - our "tailgate with Christmas music" included holiday spirits and munchies and lots of laughter. It was a terrific tension releaser. We even had our own Father Ziggy come to the party, who blessed the house and all. Our second party was a bit more subdued, but admittedly I was tired. Three parties in less than a week can be rough. The spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak.

One of my favorite gifts was a "Mexican Spanish" phrase book from my son Alex. Yes, it's back to Spanish Land now that the stockings have been hung and emptied, presents wrapped and unwrapped, cookies baked and eaten (6 dozen consumed by my dog Buddy). Getting a sneak peak at my lessons empowered me to revisit Rosetta, ever patiently waiting for my return.

A good review of numbers, in fact so much review that it was mind numbing. Give me some verbs! Where are the verbs? I want to do something! Finally I picked up estudio (studying) and ensenardo (teaching). People were teaching and studying chino, and árabe and inglés and español.

Right now, my daughter and her girlfriend are watching Julie/Julia - my new Christmas DVD. I can't concentrate on my blog - this movie was, after all , the inspiration for this project.
Plus tarde - that's French for "later!"
Jane

1 comment:

  1. Hi Janie,
    I've missed the blog. Thanks for continuing to write. You inspire me, and I need all the inspiration I can get! I've enjoyed the down time with family and friends, but now it's time to plan my work! "Plan the work, work the plan," said my dear professional and personal friend, Doug Eberle. May he rest in peace.
    2010 will be full of suprises, I suspect, and that's just the way I like life to be. Here's to you and your writing....and a toast for mine, too! :)
    Love, Joanne

    ReplyDelete