Saturday, November 7, 2009

Determination

I could use a shot of adrenaline now to get me going, but I sure didn't need any Friday night. We were pumped up. Our boys were playing for the Sectional football title and the song, "I Gotta Feeling" blasted from the stadium speakers as we entered the field.

We screamed and hooped and hollered for two hours, and were exhausted by the end of the game. Determination. That's the one word I have for our team of 66 players. Yes, they have talent and speed and good coaching, but it's their determination that defines their team. One of the boys interviewed for the local paper had warpaint under his eyes with the word "Finish," another had "Our Year." Honey, that's determination.

I thought about the many hours of training that has gone into this great season, now 12-0. This didn't just happen. They sweat buckets for this for years. My own minuscule experience in the weight room and in Body Combat this week were hard! Body Pump left me shaky, yet empowered in a strange way. I can't see myself doing it everyday like the boys do, perhaps because I don't have a big enough reason. They want to win State, I want to lose the batwings.

My dad's 80th birthday is tomorrow. I hope to be as lucky to celebrate life as he's done, with good health and good cheer, and his motto, "Never give up, never give up, never give up." Winston Churchill

No comments:

Post a Comment